FHWA and it is Condition and native agency partners have trusted analysis, modeling, and simulation (AMS) to aid investment decisions for that transportation system. Because the transportation system atmosphere grows in complexity, growing pressure is positioned on agencies to recognize more innovative and efficient methods to an array of issues. These solutions include leveraging emerging technologies, data sources, and alternative (non-traditional) strategies. AMS tools continuously play a vital role in evaluating these solutions. Actually, the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act dictates utilizing AMS tools “;to the maximum and many economically achievable extent practicable” to evaluate highway and public transit projects.As transportation solutions be sophisticated and sophisticated, corresponding AMS tools will have to evolve AMS tools must have the ability to effectively and fully evaluate the advantages of suggested solutions.
For this finish, the AMS study area was created to estimate and assess the impacts of emerging technologies, data sources, and alternative strategies develop AMS tools for researchers and practitioners collaborate with industry partners to consider these AMS abilities in commercial software and supply implementation guidance. The research area is split into three evolving areas: emerging technologies alternative operational strategies and improving the condition-of-the-practice of AMS methodologies as well as their application. The next sections describe the vision and goals from the AMS study area in addition to specific objectives in every area.
Supply the necessary analysis, modeling, and simulation (AMS) tools and guidance so public agencies can get the best possible transportation investment decisions.
- Enhance and disseminate AMS tools that contain connected and automatic vehicle (CAV) technologies. Develop and disseminate assistance with their application.
- Enhance and disseminate AMS tools that contain alternative operational ways of promote congestion management/minimization. Develop and disseminate assistance with their application.
- Promote the condition from the practice by enhancing and disseminating improved AMS methodologies. Develop and disseminate continual assistance with proper application and finest practices.
- Develop methodologies that improve existing AMS tools to include CAV technologies.
- Develop AMS tools for and evaluate potential impacts of prominent CAV applications.
- Disseminate improved AMS tools to Condition and native agency partners. Including collaborating with industry to push the adoption of CAV AMS abilities into commercial software.
- Develop and disseminate assistance with applying CAV AMS tools.
- Identify and prioritize mobility problems in recurring congestion or bottleneck areas. Devise and evaluate deployment-ready remedies that promote congestion management/minimization. Including alternative operational strategies and fashions.
- Develop and disseminate AMS tools of these treatments or remedies. Develop and disseminate assistance with their application.
- Develop and disseminate continual assistance with the use of AMS tools and methodologies. Promote correct usage and promote its growth among public agencies. Evaluate when the condition from the practice is meeting agencies’ needs and take corrective action otherwise.
- Enhance and disseminate AMS tools and methodologies to include day-to-day variability of travel conditions—including exterior factors (e.g., work zones, climate conditions, traffic occurrences, the roadside atmosphere, etc.). Develop and disseminate assistance with their application.
- Enhance and disseminate AMS methodologies to include new data sources. Including trajectory, connected vehicle, and probe vehicle data. Develop and disseminate assistance with how these data sources can improve the use of AMS tools.
- Enhance and disseminate AMS methodologies associated with mesoscopic and multiresolution tools. Develop and disseminate guidance to inspire a far more holistic analysis of network- and system-level benefits.